Repeat request: Can anyone help with the 'printable area' problem

Graham graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jun 11 08:05:00 EDT 2003

Hi list

I've brought all this up before, but unfortunately I now have a strong
reason to know how much paper I have to print on. The users of an app I'm
adapting to be multiplatform - using RunRev of course! -want the largest
copy of a drawing that can be got onto a page without clipping, and I'm no
nearer a solution. So, to repeat my message sent earlier this month:

>It seems from earlier posts that neither MC or RR offer a way for a
>scripter to find out what the actual printable area is on a page. It seems
>so crashingly obvious to me that this is absolutely needed for any but the
>most primitive printing facility in an application that I think it's time
>we got some kind of solution, at least for Macs and PCs. If anyone with
>sufficient technical skills would like to take on a solution for either or
>both of these platforms (Applescript, Xcfn,DLL etc - I am not competent to
>judge), contact me off list and we'll see if we can come to some arrangement.

I think all I need is something that when activated sets the printMargins
to the selected printer's minimum rather than 72 points all round (which in
fact is more than the minimum margins of any printer I've ever used). Of
course having captured this info, one would still be free to alter the
printMargins, or have the user alter them via a Page Setup dialog as usual.

What I really can't understand is why other people don't want this facility
as much as I do. There are a million different kinds of applications out
there, and I guess a good few of them don't have much paper output.

Graham