Unicode from ODBC database query

Alastair Martindale alastairm_rev at cogapp.com
Wed Jun 11 05:17:00 EDT 2003

I'd like to use Revolution to query an Access 2000 database which contains
some unicode characters in a text field.

I have a test database with three characters in a, a macron (a with
horizontal line above) and a acute.

I open the database as follows:
put revOpenDatabase("ODBC","RevTest",,"","") into dbRevTest
put "SELECT * FROM RevTest" into sqlRevTest
put revDataFromQuery(comma,return,dbRevTest,sqlRevTest) into strResults

But when I look at each of the characters returned I get a, a, a acute.

I have tried getting the numeric code for each character using charToNum,
with and without "useUnicode" set to true, but each time the the result is
97, 97, 225, instead of 97, 257, 225.

Using ASP and Microsoft ODBC I can retrieve the 'a macron' as a distinct
character, different from 'a'.
How can I do this in Revolution?
Does Revolution database access support unicode or double byte characters?
If it doesn't are there plans to include it any time soon?

Thanks in advance
Alastair

Alastair Martindale
Cognitive Applications