Revolution 2.0.1 now available

Donald Watson hyperdon at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 03:19:00 EDT 2003

on 6/9/03 12:16 AM, Monte Goulding at monte at sweattechnologies.com wrote:

> My frustration was not with you it was
> with downloading 24MB on a 56 K connection (the best I can get) for the sake
> of about 24K worth of changes to the IDE.
>
> Regards
>
> Monte

Yep, that is exactly my point. Most of the pro's on this list may have a
high speed internet connection as do certainly the folks at Rev. They may
have forgotten that most of the rest of us are saddled with sippin the net
with a 56k straw (at best 49k to 50k at my location). Loosing ones
connection in the middle or toward the end of a large download can be
extremely frustrating.

Downloading this latest from R/R required three seperate download attempts
to finally get what amounted to about 250k worth of changes. If you are one
of the lucky ones who have a cable or DSL modem you may be able to retrieve
the dl in a very short amount of time, but the end result is a huge increase
in server traffic. Which means more servers, switchers, modems, and whatever
at an increased cost both for your ISP and R/R. These costs must be passed
on to you and me. That doesn't even take into account the frustration
suffered by the other net users whose dl speeds creep ever lower because of
the demands placed on the system by the unecessary waste of bandwidth.

I remember a free utility that I have used for HyperCard in the past called
ResCompare. With this utility one could create a patch that would apply
itself to the resource and data forks of a stack to create a new version
without requiring your user/customer to download the entire new stack. Made
sense. I am sure that such a utility must exist for Windows, OS X, and all
the other variants. An R/R solution might be scripted into an installer
stack that would run an updater patch on every stack or resource that had
been changed.

Look all I'm saying here is, there has to be a better way to do this.

My 4 cents
Regards,
Don