Revolution 2.0.1 now available

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Sun Jun 8 20:12:01 EDT 2003

> Lemme take a shot at this:
>
> 1) Rev is a dev tool, or, more correctly a set of dev tools in a GUI . At
> its core is a complex engine (the MetaCard engine) which
> interacts with and
> manipulates your OS, sometimes (I would guess) even in its primitives.

What's that got to do with the issue?

> 2) Rev's interface is, in turn, also complex in how it works with the
> engine. It is designed to create software quicky and efficiently.

Again, the issue?

> 3) Altering some things in such tools, because they're _tools_ can easily
> affect a myriad of its functions, and visa versa.

A stack's a stack. If you delete an older version of a stack and replace it
with a new version you get an upgrade. What's so difficult about that? How
can that affect "a myriad of its functions"? If you know what you have
changed from version 2.0 to version 2.0.1 then you know which components
need to be replaced. It's that easy!

> What it means: Sometimes 'patches' will work fine if it affects
> independent
> modules, other times patches are impractical, IOW a patch-only solution
> could cause the whole structure to slow down, goof up filepaths, etc.

Could case how? This is a very strange argument.

> So, it just depends. In this case, I'm going to trust the RunRev team to
> deliver their product in the best overall way they can. I have
> other things
> to do in my life, i.e., I can go get a haircut,  eat supper, walk my dog,
> whatever. 90% or better of the time the D/L will go perfectly (I use a 56K
> modem, too), and _all_ my RunRev D/Ls have come just fine.

So by that rationalle you will never put in a feature request because RunRev
are doing their best. How will they know your requirements?

> Last week I D/L'd "Warbird III" overnight, i.e., it took 9 hours. I shut
> down the monitor and went to bed.  But, it's a great free flight sim game
> (designed to play with others online which really _does_ require
> DSL, but I
> can play it alone for now). I figured, what the heck...if it fails, I
> haven't lost a night's sleep or anything, although it's not
> something I want
> to make a habit of, because it _does_ use some power I wouldn't otherwise
> use.
>
> The next morning I was elated to see it was successful. I set up my new
> flight stick and began training.

If there's a new version of Warbird, with a patch option and a full download
option, which one would you take?

C'mon people! This programming community above all others should recognise
that we as programmers have the ability to make life easier for ourselves as
well as others.

Sorry, I'm a bit frustrated about this issue. Logic seems to have gone out
the window.

Monte