is beep zero-based?

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Sun Jun 8 12:45:01 EDT 2003

Thanks to valetia for the pointer to the docs (doh!) and to Dar Scott
for an admittedly awful but nonetheless delightful poetic augmentation.

I should definitely have read the "beep" doc before I posted. For that,
I apologize for wasting the list's bandwidth.

OTOH, I'm not entirely sure even this
documentor-sweep-this-under-the-rug explanation is really accurate. If
it were, I would expect the number of audible beeps to be either
unpredictable and almost random or I'd expect there to be some
relationship between the number of beeps ordered and the number of
beeps actually heard. But in my experience on OS X, at least, the
number of beeps heard is always and consistently one fewer than ordered
by the script. The doc explanation for this seems to me to fall short
of a legitimate explanation of the problem and inclines me to agree
with Dar: it's a bug but it's not going to be fixed any time soon, so
program around it.

And that's how I'll document it in my eBook!

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com
Latest Book Release: "HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS"
(http://www.sitepoint.com/books/css1/)
Watch for my new eBook/Web site/Rev Stack Set, "Revolution Pros" this
summer