Yikes! E-mail harvesting possibility?

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Fri Jun 6 12:21:01 EDT 2003

What about having whatever script it is that processes the emails into the web pages simply automatically inserts "*4 random characters*" after any @ symbols that it sees. That makes it easy to see the real address, but the randomized "no spam" inserted into the middle makes it very hard to harvest an email address. Plus, @ symbols don't show up tht often in posts unless it's an email address.

Though, for off-list conversations, the email address is in the original email message, so it's not to hard to get to someone off list if you keep a couple  of days worth of list mail in your mail client.