table calculations

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 11:54:01 EDT 2003

I followed the very recent conversation between Klaus Major and Jan
Schenkel, and it certainly looks tough to use tables for anything
very much. I have gradually understood that a table is not really an
object in its own right but rather a 'doctored' field, and
furthermore the 'doctoring' has removed some of the normal messages
that one would expect to use to find out what data entry has been
done and to handle multi-cell operations.

I'm not sure if this feature is really only half implemented in RR2.0
or if instead the intended purpose of tables is different from what
Klaus (and me and I guess a good many more listers) would like, i.e.
a way of setting up spreadsheet-like functionality. I would really
like to hear a comment from the team, when they've got time.

Meanwhile I am experimenting with a primitive spreadsheet where every
cell is a field and absolutely all the functionality arises from my
own scripting. I'm just not sure if this is the way to go.

Just my two Euro-cents

Graham