Discover revolution, would like comparison with ToolBook

rebolask rebolask at free.fr
Sun Jun 1 07:06:03 EDT 2003

>>- it doesn't seem to support Activex whereas Toolbook does (Toolbook is
>not multiplatform)
>I wonder how many of our developers would find support ActiveX useful?
I don't know RunRev but the problem with Toolbook is that they never really upgrade to pass the 64 K barrier even in 32 bit platform :). So although you can developp a tree component in Toolbook (in fact there was one in the library) you was limited to 64 Ko for each page. OK you can cope yourself with the 64 Ko barrier ... but then you won't have time to do what you are paying for: developping the core functionalities of your application and not doing system programming. Also if you really need a commercial look and feel and high performance and functionalities only professional activex component can give it with no time hassle. So I am very inclined to chose Delphi for that but I don't like the "classical" development tool approach they are very retarded in concept compared to Toolbook but you can cope with high standards of GUI development for users which is a necessity for commercial products.

>>For example I didn't see any tree component so how would you show for
>example a xml-type structure?
>You can find a sample treeview control which can read and display xml,
>and display hundreds of elements in milliseconds in the Revolution 2.0
>samples folder. If you look at the script you'll notice it's less than
>120 lines, and can display images.  This is not to say that an xml tree
>view object would not be useful in the engine, but by giving developers
>things like support for images in fields and perhaps enhanced support for
>things like parent scripts as Richard mentioned, it's not difficult to
>roll your own and it will work for all platforms.

OK thanks I keep the url and will look at it.