documentation - full text search useful?

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sun Jun 1 06:55:01 EDT 2003

I've been following the discussions about the roots of Rev in Hypercard, and the problems that people have with using the documentation.

I think it is really quite useful for those new to Rev to be able to get their heads round the fundamental principles of Hypercard.  (I think maybe there could/should be an orientation tutorial that would server this purpose).  I know I found Goodman's book a bit too simple, and find the Kamins et al. book far more useful (although that probably jumps in a bit too far from where Goodman starts...)

About the documentation that comes with Rev.  Given that it is pretty damn thorough, and very well hyper-linked throughout, one of the only ways in which I can see it being made more easy for people to find information within it is if the whole thing was searchable.

I think I could quite easily provide a web site with a search facility that would be able to do a fast search of all the documentation.

Of course I do not want to go ahead and do this unless it would be useful to others, and is sanctioned by Runrev as not breaching their copyright (the legal blurb says something to the effect that the documentation cannot be redistributed in any form whatsoever).

As an example of what this would achieve: I exported the entire documentation set to my hard disk, and searched for the word 'memory' (just a word chosen at randdom).  I found 110 hits, but browsing through the documentation I could only find two or three.  Admittedly, some of my hits will be cross-references, but still I think this would provide quite an exhaustive way for people to be able to trawl through the documentation.

Regards,
Bernard