threshold...and Windows users

STKing42 at aol.com STKing42 at aol.com
Sun Jun 1 06:10:02 EDT 2003

Sorry about this, but this post tends to cross a few threads!  SBE price,
Active X and Documentation

As an SBE user, I don't think that the SBE price is too high for 'Home'
developers, I myself have just bought SBE and I am only intending to develop home
apps, helpful things for my wifes school and apps for a local swimming club.
And not as cross platform, Windows/NT only  as alternatives to VB, VBA or
similar (are many apps produced by RR users truly intended as cross platform?)

My purchase follows from a free copy of 1.1.1. pro issued with UK PC-PLUS
magazine not long ago. I was impressed with the ability of RR to produce usable
apps in a very short time, with little or no experience. As a result, I was
perfectly happy to pay the SBE price which is not unreasonable when compared with
packages for royalty free distributables in VB or C++ etc.

However, after monitoring the excellent forum dialogue over the last few
days, one thing that is worrying me is whether, as a Windows user, this was a
sound long term investment.

There have been excellent discussions on documentation and Active X, and they
seem to me to boil down to OlderMac users have the required background (from
Hypercard etc?)  or why do we need active X if its not available on MAC (which
has its own form I think which I get the impression can be more easily used
by RR).

To me RR is an excellent product that can rival VB or other languages
"windows" users are familiar with. Certainly I had no prior knowledge of the language
and I bought it after about 1 months use - I think this says a lot. But, I
believe that in the UK, where the vast majority of 'PC' users use windows, it
will only become popular if it supports Windows features and extensions as well
as it does MAC features, and due account is taken that windows user know
nothing of the heritage of Hypercard , RR etc and the language structure is so
different to  VB for example that its sometimes not obvious even where to look!

I make these points because I got into RR through UK PC-PLUS, which is a
windows only magazine - so I guess the Rev team would like to raise the windows
profile (which is a big market in the UK) and so windows features and solutions
would seem very important. The more users -the more chance RR has of success!

By the way, many thanks to all the forum contributors  - your knowledge is
outstanding! I have learned a lot already in just a few days of monitoring.

Best regards
Steve King (a windows Rev user)

PS, if I have misunderstood some of the active X arguments, and the MAC is
affected as much as windows - apologies, this unfortunately reflects the
non-existant knowledge the average Brit has of the MAC!