Proposal - the use-revolution list

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Thu Jul 31 12:21:01 EDT 2003

I have long been an advocate of user groups and discussion boards over
mailing lists. I have spent a good part of my career studying and
working in the field of online community and collaboration.

I'm in the process of opening a new site, as many of you know, to
support my forthcoming three-eBook set on Revolution. It will be going
live within another two weeks or so. I plan to ask RunRev at that point
for permission to reflect this list into the discussion board. That
would enable us to have the best of both worlds. The technology I'm
using to build my discussion board and supporting site stuff is a
combination of Hemingway (Chipp Walters' brilliant CMS) and Web
Crossing (http://www.webcrossing.com). Web Crossing allows us to have
discussions that you can not only subscribe to by email but participate
in entirely through email using an NNTP (news) client if you prefer to
participate that way.

The only thing that doesn't give us that I've seen a request for here
is for the board to be hosted at RunRev. I'm not sure why that would be
important, but I'm even open to that idea if it is really desirable.

My plan leaves this list in tact but allows you to view it in a
discussion board context, participate via either the board or email,
receive notification of updates (single or digest mode) via email, and
yet do things like upload files for people to look at, attach images to
posts, etc.

I'd be interested in feedback on this idea, either here or off-list to
dan at shafermedia.com.

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com
Latest Book Release: "HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS"
(http://www.sitepoint.com/books/css1/)
Watch for my new eBook/Web site/Rev Stack Set, "Revolution Pros" this
summer