Fix to distribution builder available

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu Jul 31 10:57:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 07:49  AM, Wolfgang M. Bereuter wrote:
> FOA thank for your help...

Gladly

> But, imho that cant be the problem, because its builded fine for the
> not so intuitiv Linux. I have no idea about that OS...?

Huh?

> Do I really have to go deep into OSX/unix to build a distribution with
> rev..?

You can do it from the _Finder_. How deep is that? In classic Mac OS
the equivalent operations one had to do it with ResEdit and edit
confusing resource files. I hate using ResEdit. That's what I call not
so intuitive.

> Does this help me to save the problem with the coyright and the icons
> which are lost or not installed?

Yes, simply edit Info.plist in a text editor and you can change the
Copyright, Version and Icons file for the application bundle.

> But the most important point is, that it worked fine, like expected,
> with rev 2.0...
> http://www.internettrainer.com/9files/revolution/OSX_2.0.png

RE: OS X app bundles. It easy. It's a packaging and distribution issue.
Any good software package for OS X should also have documentation,
supporting files should be put into the application bundle, and the
whole bunch and be put into a .sit or .dmg file. Adjusting your
application bundle to suit is just part of that packaging and
distribution process. Rev doesn't and will never do all that for you.

> I m very, very patient... but once, after years of waiting I would
> like to have a tool which does one of his main features,  without
> forcing me to graduate in Unix...;)

Well do you want to get the job done, or nurse old wounds? ;-)  It
requires no Unix expertise. This really falls into the packaging and
distribution realm, which you are responsible for anyways.

But re: your screenshot above, maybe I don't understand what the
problem is and you should file a bugzilla report. If that's the case
then I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

However, I still think that everyone distributing software for OS X
needs to learn about application bundles on OS X.

Learn about app bundles here:
	http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
SystemOverview/AppPackaging/

Install the Free developer tools and use these utilities

	IconComposer.app -- creates an .icns file which is referenced in
Info.plist
	Property List Editor.app -- edits .plist files in a convenient outline
view.

BTW I have filed a feature request with RR for enhancing how it deals
with application bundles on OS X. But in the meantime it isn't stopping
me from making app bundles just how I want them.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com