Two IDE usability edits

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Thu Jul 31 10:09:01 EDT 2003

Recently, many people have been commenting on the difficulty of finding some information in the documention.

While I was thinking about it, I wanted to mention two changes that I always make to the IDE whenever I install a new version that make my life much, much easier. In fact, they are both things that I am surprised RunRev doesn't do already.

(For Newbies) To make these changes you need to go to "Preferences" in the Edit menu, click on "General" then turn on the options for "Contextual menus work in Revolution windows"

1. Increase the number of items shown in the documention's "Show" drop-down menu. Showing only 5 items makes it really hard to find things in the docs. Whenever I install RunRev, I always open the docs, shift-control right(Shift-Command on Macs?) click on this menu, select Proporties and knock the number up to 20. Makes it FAR easier to find things, and gives you a better feel for the context.

2. Add scroll bars to the message window. I often have more data in the message window that I can view without scrolling. Scrolling by select dragging is inexact and irritating. So, I always call up the message window first thing, shift-control right(Shift-Command on Macs?) click on the output field of the message window, and click the options to add both horizontal and vertical scrollsbars (small).

I find that these two little things do a lot to make my life easier.