Proposal - the use-revolution list

Keith Martin keith at vortex.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 09:54:00 EDT 2003

Edwin Gore said:

>Kieth,
>
>It's not strange at all. A mailing list comes to you and demands
>your attention. A message board sits there lurking 24/7, but unless
>you bother to check it, it generally won't remind you.

>My only request would be that if the list get's turned into a board
>that it be hosted at runrev.com, and the URL nt have anything that
>identifies it as a messageboard - my employer is weird about message
>boardds and blocks sites like Prospero, Yahoo Groups, etc. viewing
>them as "chat" groups.

Masking email addresses for posts readable online is another
important issue. If a collection of addresses is online a spambot
will find it eventually. [sigh]

>One advantage I can see to a group is that it would reduce the
>number of times that 6 of us answer a query, since the mail-lag
>would be gone. Of course, right now when 6 of us answer a question
>it's often with 5 completely different, completely valid answers -
>which really shows off the flexibility of Revolution...

A very good point - that's something I regard as a major benefit of
being subscribed to the mailing lists for Freeway and SuperCard. With
tools such as Rev and these, there's almost always an impressive
number of different ways to do something. I don't think an only
forum-based 'list' would entirely kill that off, but it might reduce
it substantially.