randomnumber / randomseed

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jul 30 19:51:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 05:43 PM, Michael wrote:

> put random 100000 into x
> set the randomseed to x
> get random(whatever)

Getting some randomness into the randomSeed it a good idea.  Is that
what this is about?  I don't think this will do it, though.

This script will always product the same result on my Revolution 2.0.1
on OS X:

on mouseUp
   put empty into field "Report"
   set the randomSeed to 1
   put random(5) & LF after field "Report"
   put random(29) & LF after field "Report"
   set the randomSeed to random(100000)
   put random(9) & LF after field "Report"
   put random(100) & LF after field "Report"
end mouseUp

Fortunately, Revolution does set the seed to a different number each
time the engine starts up (almost).  I suspect two standalones starting
at about the same time might start out with the same randomSeed.  It
looks like seconds plus a birthday code.  It might be more complicated
and I don't see the pattern.

Here is where Revolution shines.  How to get randomness to put into a
randomSeed or to update a temporary randomSeed?  I suspect that a cool
solution exists using front scripts that grab some time bits for mouse
and key actions.  There are lots of bits available on OS X and a few on
Windows, but I suspect you may have to get them one at a time on Mac OS
9 and Linux.

Dar Scott

****
   Dar Scott Consulting    http://www.swcp.com/dsc/    Programming