determining network connection status

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Jul 30 14:38:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 01:05  PM, Eric Peden wrote:
> I could fix (1) by opening a socket with a shorter timeout value, but
> that still doesn't address (2). Any ideas?

As a former tech support guy, I know some modem users get mad when
their computer auto-dials to connect to the Internet. It would be
better to check if networking is configured and enabled, without
actually making a connection. Probably it is a platform specific C
function call :-( Sorry to sound so discouraging.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com