Question on .rev file format

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 30 04:30:01 EDT 2003

Monte Goulding wrote:

> I think you're right. We need something built for Rev. A system designed for
> lots of little files and package structures needed in Java etc will never
> work right in Rev.

Here's a simple option that might serve a lot of needs sufficiently:

A tool for opening stack files and substacks, which is tied to a simple CGI
that only keeps track of check out/check-in requests at the stack level.

For example, if we were working on the MetaCard's mctools.mc stack, I could
open it through this admin tool and request check-out for, say, the
standalone builder substack.  Check-out requests grab the latest check-out
list from a central server, and if no one else has that stack checked out it
lets me do so, notifying the server of my temporary ownership.

I then work away on my own copy of mctools.mc, and when I'm done I click a
"Check In" button that spits out the substack I've been working on to a
separate stack file, compresses it, and sends it into to the server.  The
project leader (or a chron job) then runs a tool on the master copy which
deletes the corresponding subtack from the master copy and copies my
modified stack as a substack into the master.

In most work groups I've been part of it's common that multiple programmers
will want to work on the same stack file, but rare that they'll want to work
on the same substack at the same time.

So focusing on a stack-level check-in/check-out tool keeps things simple
while covering the most common case for team development.

I guess the tough question is:  Who's got two free days to write the thing?
;)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation