Of HIG, Apple, and User-Centric Design

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 29 12:56:01 EDT 2003

Keith Martin wrote:

> I agree totally: a checkbox is meant to be a
> control, not just a passive indicator.

Why not both?

There are circumstances where disabling the control makes sense, yet even
when disabled it should not lie:  if the property it relates to is "on" the
control should be set regardless of whether the user can interact with it at
the time.

Of course if the checkbox never becomes enabled and is used solely for
display, any button type would be inappropriate as buttons are meant to be
clicked.

A status message, icon, or other non-interactive indicator would seem a
better option for such cases.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation