The Hasp dongle -- war stories?

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Tue Jul 29 08:17:03 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 01:27 US/Pacific, Joel Rees wrote:

> The specific question I'm worried about right now is whether the Hasp
> requires system extensions. I haven't seen any, but I haven't had a
> chance to look inside the stacks very deeply. (XCFNs?)

Long ago my wife did a stack that used a dongle and yes, there were
XCMDs that communicated with the dongle. We came up with a pretty
complicated system for checking for the dongle code in the stack
(making sure the code had not been altered to bypass the dongle) and
then slowly destroying hypercard and the stack if the stack was messed
with in any way. Once she was ready to ship a version, there was a
fairly complicated set of steps that locked things down and if she did
something out of step, she'd have to re-install hypercard. It was fun
to work on.

Kee Nethery