Universal GUI

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 28 15:18:00 EDT 2003

Rob Cozens wrote:

>> Both MS and Apple HIGs suggest that having a consistent menu bar with items
>> that enable/disable depending on context is generally better than one in
>> which the menu bar is constantly changing with the context.
>
> Richard, et al:
>
> I guess nobody on the HyperCard Team read that one.    :{`)

Or the chapter on why using standard scrollbars is better than inventing
novelty palette widgets. ;)

But seriously, you'l find an exception to this in the wonderful AppleWorks.
Since it's really a suite of applications it makes sense for it to have a
dynamic menu bar.  One more example of how the HIG provides guidance but not
law....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation