Of HIG, Apple, and User-Centric Design

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Sat Jul 26 20:27:00 EDT 2003

When I said a few hundred posts ago that an unclickable checkbox was a
violation of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG), what i *really*
meant was that it violates what I'd consider to be *fundamental* UI
design. Apple's HIG are the best single codification of UI design I
know about, because they've been doing that (codifying) and studying
the issue for longer than any mainstream software or hardware
manufacturer.

I don't even know if Microsoft has set of codified UI guidelines; if
they do, they clearly don't enforce it, even on their own products. And
that's OK if that's how they want to proceed.

It is interesting that the Web browser has drastically altered peoples'
expectations of the UI. In fact, it has lowered their expectations to a
least common denominator that's not all that broad. And that may
ultimately turn out to be a good thing.

I spent a good many years engaged primarily in GUI design (in fact, I
own the domain gui.com) and am perhaps more sensitive to the issue than
most users, even. But whether you choose Apple's HIG as your baseline
(someone said they're no longer sure Apple's guidelines are all that
good, but I challenge anyone to come up with a more coherent,
consistent, and clear set of guidelines) or someone else's, the most
important single rule of UI design that I have come up with in 15 years
is simple:

Never surprise the user.

A surprised user is a confused user is a distressed user is a user who
is not going to be a user one second longer than s/he has to be.

A checkbox I can't uncheck is a surprise. I never (or at least almost
never) encounter such beasts. Put one into your program at the very
high risk that I will be sufficiently uncomfortable that I will go
away. And, what is perhaps more sinister and important, I will probably
never tell you why I went away.