Newbie - MainStack Question

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sat Jul 26 15:00:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 07:39  AM, Brian K. Maher wrote:
>> This is leading me to question whether I should (or want to) use the
>> main stack for anything other than generic handlers that my
>> application needs.  I am thinking about simply making the main stack
>> invisible and using only sub stacks for my applications windows.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any insights on this?  Am I missing something here?

I have an app where I decided to use the mainstack as a splash screen,
and also use it a keeper of some common scripts used by the app. After
the app starts the splash screen is  just hidden. It seems to work good.

I find it helpful to think about the message hierarchy like inheritance
in an object-oriented programming language. For example in an app I
have a "doNext" handler that moves to a new card in some intelligent
manner.

-- in mainstack
-- (this handler shouldn't get to here)
on doNext
  answer warning "oops, forgot to implement doNext" && the target
end doNext

-- in substack x
on doNext
  -- implement default navigation behavior for this substack
  -- if a card doesn't implement doNext, it will inherit this behavior
  do "behavior..."
end doNext

-- in some card of substack x
on doNext
  -- override the inherited navigation behavior
  do "behavior..." or pass doNext
end doNext

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com