UnNesting Nested Groups

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Fri Jul 25 02:43:38 EDT 2003

At 8:50PM -0700 7/24/03, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:
>GRP: Base controls
>GRP:     group id 1239
>GRP:         group ID 1240
>GRP:            group ID 1241
>                        field FirstName
>                        Field Last Name
>                        btn: "Listing"
>                        etc. (some 40+ more controls)
>
>How can one un-nest this mess and get back to simply:
>
>GRP: Base controls
>  		field FirstName
>		Field Last Name
>		btn: "Listing"
>		etc. (some 40+ more controls)

Select the outermost group and choose "Ungroup". Keep doing this until you
reach the innermost level. When you have only one level of group left,
rename it "Base controls".

(If you accidentally ungroup the final group (so that you have only card
controls, and no groups), do not panic, but re-group them WITHOUT leaving
the card you're on. This will prevent field data on other cards from being
lost, and is handy to know, because I suspect we've all accidentally
ungrouped a shared group that includes fields at least once.)

Alternatively, select the outermost group and start editing it. Click the
next-nested group and choose "ungroup", and keep doing this until you have
no more groups. Since you are still in edit mode for the outermost group
"Base controls", you can now stop editing the group and all your controls
will be contained in it. (This might actually be an easier option since you
won't have to restore any settings of the "Base controls" group.)

(Needless to say, I advise doing anything like this on a backup.)

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/