Clicking on linked text sends a mouseLeave message?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jul 24 18:15:00 EDT 2003

On 7/24/03 4:44 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:
> The  script below allows students to click on various words ("objective
> lens", "ocular lens" etc.) in a "Help field" and an arrow is drawn from
> the linked word or phrase to the object in question.
>
> But I want the arrow to go away (set the points of graphic "arrow" to
> empty) when the the mouse leaves the  field.
>
>  But my handler "mouseLeave" beeps every time I click on a link, the
> arrow flashes but immediately disappears.
>
> Why should clicking on a link send a mouseLeave message?

When the arrow graphic appears under the mouse, the field gets a
"mouseleave" and the graphic gets a "mouseEnter" message. In other
words, the focus shifts. (This is a new feature of the engine; it didn't
used to work that way.)

You could work around it by not using the mouseloc as the start of the
arrow. Add a few pixels to the horizontal position, for example.
(Although if the user moves the mouse over the graphic, the graphic will
disappear again.)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com