Universal GUI (was Re: HIG...)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Jul 24 16:20:02 EDT 2003

>>So maybe we developers could turn the tables: rather than enslaving
>>ourselves to sometimes arbitrary specifications, we take it upon ourselves
>>to make one recommendation for a Universal GUI.

[snip]

>A very worthy goal, Richard, but it sounds like a full-time job for a team...

In absence of a team to tackle that, might I suggest a more modest
goal for the Revolution community: a Universal Transcript syntax.

By that I mean the addition of generic front ends to commands like
"answer file" so that individual developers would rarely have need to
include 'switch (the platform)' or 'if the platform is "MacOS" and
char 1 of the systemVersion < 7' statements.

I see hiding platform differences from Transcript scripters as a
worthy goal, and a Universal API more easily achievable than a
Universal GUI.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company