The Message Box no-action bug solved

WIlliam Griffin bill at igame3d.com
Thu Jul 24 10:28:01 EDT 2003

From: "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
> I should amend my comment. The unavailability of all the engines in the
> distribution builder may be a legitimate bug, but for the others, try
> testing first on a newly-created stack. Some of the things that aren't
> working in your original stack may work in a new one (like your
> experience with the message box.) If that is the case, then there is
> probably something in your stack preventing correct behavior, which
> would be outside your support contract.

Dear readers I have tracked down the Message Box bug, hope this helps
anyone who runs into this situation too.

 > then there is probably something in your stack preventing correct
behavior<

That was a frightening prospect, this project is getting bigger by the
minute.
It's a full blown 3D game development application and my first app.

I did a save and took a look at what was saving...sure enough "Message
Box"
was part of the project save, so I did a "close and removed from
memory"..which warns
me...Fearlessly I said "yes remove from memory and close", then I chose
Message Box
from the menu, what should appear? The Metacard style message box, as
an editable stack, and it worked perfectly..but of course it wasn't the
rev message box..so thats not the solution.

My Solution:
quit rev without saving
open my stack in Metacard
view stack components (where is this option in rev? couldn't find it)
select message box (its not open of course)
delete (yes I really do want to delete, thank you very much)
save
quit Metacard
open rev
open my stack
open message box
put 1+3 with result 4!!!
open stack "Array"..yeehaa there it is!

Ta-Da!

Now how do I make sure the message box doesn't get saved into my
project in rev?

What were the other issues I was having, I'm so happy I forget... :-)

Ok back to work, la la la.
Have a nice day.

Bill Griffin
bill at igame3d.com