Revolution 2.02 is a $200 beta?

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Wed Jul 23 17:23:27 EDT 2003

The same sort of thing has been happening to me but I thought I was special.
Also, I'm a lurking newbie so don't speak up  much.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I was using the 30 day trial and everything worked fine. Then the trial
expired, and Rev reverted to Free edition. Immediately just about every
thing I did resulted in nothing happening.. including message box commands.
Rev got so bunged up that I'm back to the 1.1.1 Free version.  Yes I'm going
to buy ("Soon?", he said hopefully) but don't have the $ set aside yet and
yes, the reversion disaster has given me minor second thoughts....

Turns out the doing "nothing" is not quite correct. When nothing happens, I
can bring Rev back to life by hitting command-. (ESC for PC users?). There
appears to be some VERY time consuming something that's going on prior to
Rev taking action on the important things.. the ones I want to happen.

So, Bill... Did you pay your $200 to enable a Trial Version that reverted?

Just a thought.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
While I've got the screen, thoughts on other recent threads.

1) I love the Free Edition concept. I've been through so many 30 day trials
without ever really getting the products evaluated enough to make a
decision... and thus haven't bought them, that it isn't even funny. I'm too
busy doing what I need to be doing to do an "evaluatoin". The Free Edition
gives me enough time to work with the product when and where it makes sense
and that lets me get comfortable enough to make a ourchase decision.

2) IMHO, Splash Screens belong on Free versions of things and should include
message saying same. "This project produced on a Free Evaluation version of
Runtime Revolution" This immediately separates the "professional" from the
non because one would assume a pro would actually buy their dev tool.

3) A long time ago, Geoff made the comment that there was a lot of really
bad C++ code out there and no-one bad mouths C about that. True but... when
did you see a splash screen saying "This bad app was produced using C++, the
language of Champions" or something to that effect. It is best to let bad
code go unassociated w/ an excellent product. Or at least have the splash
screen only apply to a Free version (See 2 above)

Finally.. and I don't expect an answer.... I'm really confused by the
v.2.01, 2.02 and TBD 2.1 situation. Which do I get if I "Buy Now". I'm a
dual OS Mac person. My work computers (G3 Wallstreet Powerbook and Beige G3
Tower) have OS 9.1 or 9.2 and can't realistically run OS X while my kid's
have 10.2?

I'm stuck. Which platform to get... OS X which means I can't take Rev on the
road..... or Classic which means I don't have OS X version if I upgrade my
work computers ("Soon?", he said hopefully).... Answer... I probably stick
w/ Free 1.1.1 until I get my OS situation straightened out... Another victim
of the "Develop on One for Many"  paradigm shift. (Yes I could get Studio
but $75 is $75 and my kids aren't in public school.......)

Jim