Palm Database Viewer

James Richards jamesjrichards at lineone.net
Wed Jul 23 15:05:03 EDT 2003

on 23/7/03 13:56:47 +0200, Lars Lewejohann:

> I have not tested this on Linux or Mac systems.  Especially on Mac I
> have no idea
> whether PDBs saved with my prog will be installable since I don't  know
> a) if  a
> "Mac file type" is needed and b) if so, what is the "Mac file type" for
> Palm databases.

A little preliminary checking on my Mac shows that there is no single file
type for Palm databases. Different Palm applications set different types.

This leads to a problem with your script on your button "LoadPDB" [16]

the line
    answer file "Open pdb document?" with filter "pdb, *.pdb"

doesn't work on my Mac (OS 8.6 Rev 2.0r2). I think the problem is the
filter. The absence of any consistent file type means that there can't be
any filtering by file type (you will just have to trust Mac users that
they're opening the right thing). Unfortunately it appears that [*.pdb] (and
even [.pdb]) types are interpreted as being strings of four (and five)
characters, so instead of ignoring them the engine treats them as if they
*are* Mac file types and shows nothing because there are no Mac files with
that type.

I'm a complete novice so this advice is not worth the usual 0.02 [currency
unit], but if you want this to operate on Mac OS 8 to 9 you may need to test
what system it is running under and choose different 'answer' statements
accordingly. Someone with more knowledge or cleverer than I may have a
better solution.

As I am running the free edition I can't alter your script and test further
:(

Regards

James

--