Rev killing the Mac platform?

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 01:37:03 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 10:27  PM, miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:

> As too often occurs, you've added much more to my post than was
> actually in it.

Have I written to you and done this before?

> Look again: nowhere does it say that I have never had a virus on my
> hard drive; I have.

Then my assumption was correct, you did have a virus on your windows
machine before.

>  I simply said that I have not made cash outlays to avoid them, to
> elimnate them, or fix any damage. I also did not say some kind of
> "cost" was not incurred; "cost" is often measured as time. Some small
> amount of time is invested. I use free virus scanners on a regular
> basis. I have backups of "important" files.

Thank you for sharing that, I was hoping that you would have. Like I
said "I can understand doing it yourself."

> My reply was a succinct, direct reponse to a likewise succinct, direct
> comment. When formulating a reply, I read nothing into the comment,
> nor attempted some type of exegesis.
> miscdas

I was intrigued by the urban-legend comment. The implications that an
urban-legend [probable metaphor] could be read from this:

> If you move your email to Windows as well you'll pay far more than $75
> dealing with viruses. ;) --

... this is a stretch to imply that there is not enough truth for $75
worth of damage to be considered unbelievable, especially for other
people that can't fix things themselves. It is far more believable that
defending operating systems on user-lists ever changes anyone's
preferred decisions. I stopped counting Windows viruses after the
number went over 10,000 many years ago; perhaps that is just an
urban-legend comment as well.