How to make an Unclickable Check Box

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Jul 23 00:19:02 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 07:05  PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> From: Dan Shafer <dan at shafermedia.com>
> Date: Tue Jul 22, 2003  7:05:21  PM Pacific/Honolulu
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Subject: Re: How to make an Unclickable Check Box
>

> On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 06:41 AM, Jan Schenkel suggested to
> Sannyasin:
>

>> Turn off the autoHilite of the checkbox, and leave the
>> script of the checkbox empty. Now it won't be hilited
>> unless you set its hilite from a script.
>>
> Pardon the intrusion, but it may be worth noting that an unclickable
> checkbox is a violation of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and of
> general UI design rules about user expectations. I'd respectfully
> suggest some other way of indicating the user's connected state than a
> checkbox he can't click on or change. I guarantee you'll have
> frustrated and confused users.

No intrusion whatsoever... in fact, advice well taken... frankly, I
have never even looked at Apple's HIG or any UI design guide... too
busy... but now is the time as more and more we are developing tools
for general public use... Do I need to purchase a book or what do you
recommend as the best way to get up to speed.

> A text label whose contents changes from CONNECTED to NOT CONNECTED
> would be as easy to design and code and be much more meaningful in the
> bargain.

Certainly easily done... i'll do that, thanks for the tip!

> Just MHO.
Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery