Rev killing the Mac platform?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 22 15:47:03 EDT 2003

miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:

>> If you move your email to Windows as well you'll pay far more than $75
>> dealing with viruses. ;)
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Media Corporation
>> Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site
> =============
> Wow Richard, that is s definitive sounding almost "urban legend"-like
> statement! However, as a Windows user for all but the first year it came
> out, I have not spent dollar one in either avoiding

Nearly all of the viruses that have cost us more than $7 billion dollars
worldwide over the last three years have been misreported in the press as
"computer viruses" when they are limited to Microsoft products.  From Code
Red on down, the legacy continues.

Sure, every OS has a virus or two now and then, but none have even come
close to the damage levels caused by Microsoft-specific viruses.

There may be any number of reasons for this: although virus damage has been
strongly disprortionate to marketshare, to be fair we could adjust a bit for
that; open source folks say it's because MS has too few eyes looking at the
code; Cringlely has his own theory at
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010802.html>.

I haven't met a Windows user who hasn't dealt with an emailed virus in the
last five years, and I've met no Mac or Linux user who has.  Your mileage
may vary; I just call 'em like I see 'em.