Rev 2.02/New pricing

Wolfgang M. Bereuter wmb at internettrainer.com
Fri Jul 18 14:25:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, Jul 18, 2003, at 15:36 Europe/Vienna, miscdas at boxfrog.com
wrote:

> Wolfgang, let me add that I belong to other MM authoring lists, and
> the biggest single complaint by the "designers" is that they DON"T
> want to write code, scripts whatever; they want drag-and-drop or
> click-and-place objects, and then "script helpers" that list commands
> and functions that a selected object supports along with an example of
> the syntax in HUMAN UNDERSTANDABLE (as opposed to programmer
> understable) terms.
Right, like me, thats why we had some time ago the thread of an iShell
UI with the MC engine. I have this kind of UI for rev still in Mind...

>  Rev certainly doesn't have that, and from John's post (subject: "Me
> the potenital buyer"), documentation that is geared to programmers and
> leaves out others is a huge barrier to overcome, resulting in many
> giving up early in the game. This is complaint number 2 by the > newbies.
I would have given up also, because rev caused me headache and stomach
pain...;(

>> If this new more complicated license/pricing system which is the
>> right way to do that...?
> The new licensing does nothing to rectify the documentation needed to
> address the  "non-programmer newbie that really COULD eventially be a
> paying customer if only there were coherent, concise newbie-friendly
> docs and tutorials".
right, Sara.., also Jaqueline made a very good documentation...

But how could I get all this (old antiquarian books here in Austria)
And there is another problem. Rev authoring is only a part of my new
way of learning with trainingsmaps©. I cant waste all my time in
learning the authoring tool. There are a lot of other tools I need, to
do the maps. Therefore I m looking for a faster understandable tool.
I see all that from a brainfriendly point of view. We all have 2 parts
(hopefully) which have different functions. Scripters are very, very
left (digital, sequenciel, read before, do later, details...) Designers
are right (creativ, associative try and error, overwiev...)

> "...I assume you have done the tutorials
dont assume that=;) I have it here, but was not able to read much of
it. A few parts, but...

>  that come with Revolution and if you have Rev 2.0, you will see the
> new Cookbook section which has quite a lot of example scripts.
Hmmm , but maybe that sounds ridiculous to you, but most of the
instructions are still - yes its better now than before - but still
difficult to understand. Why this kind of (maybe Klaus can help me here
with the translation) Scripter terminin, which is clear for every
Scripter, is very confusing for a right brainer like me - or a newbie.
This: put my Variable into your array... Must that be called "myVar" or
is that an example? Do I need to use exactly that word. It would be
much easyier to see a real script - plus explication and not this
theoretical (fits for all) instructions.
So, I think, the market for rev with its actual scripting UI is limited
to mostly scripters only.
Hence I have great hope in Dans books, because this is the first text I
have seen, which eliminates exactly this termini. So, for me everything
was much better understandable at only a fast(first) view...

>  There are also numerous stacks available at the User Contributions
> section of the RunRev website and other places - all of which can be
> taken apart, examined, changed, tested etc so you can work out what is
> going on."  ('Well', despairs Newbie, 'I wish I knew something about
> how to "take apart and examine scripts".
I, as a right brain thinking person, needed about 2 years to understand
a bit of rev. 2 years to use the message box first time. 2 years mostly
struggling with unusual behaviour, crashes and problems. Maybe I m an
idiot, but why did I do my site (140 pages), which is bigger than my
rev program (80 cards/6 stacks) in freeway without coding html in 4
weeks. Why I have understood OmniGraffle in about a day. Is it really
"my" stupid brain, that I dont understand rev..? I struggled monthes to
finish my rev (prototyp) programm. Look at me as this kind of newbie
rev is targeting...

> But since I have barely even started, and can't find a good book for
> beginners, and have to go from site-to-site to find examples, and
> couldn't find any instructions about taking apart scripts in the
> dictionary, (maybe it's there, but I can't find it) I guess this
> Revolution thing just isn't for me. I must be really stupid--or maybe
> you "programmers" are all geniuses!')
> And so departs another frustrated Newbie, once hopeful of authoring
> some "cool apps", now fallen back into the trenches of despair.
I felt like this since the beginning, and still feeling very often like
a frustrated newbie...
And thats why I m still thinking a rev engine with a modular freeway,
OmniGraffle, iShell, Mellel - eZedia UI could be the real killer app,
as I described it (modular UI) in one of my last posts. A developing
tool tool for the rest of us...

And last but not least: developing on one platform and deploying to any
other platform. That the biggest point of it. And thats why I m still
here. And exactly that point RR is killing now...

regards
Wolfgang M. Bereuter

Learn easy with trainingsmaps©
INTERNETTRAINER Wolfgang M. Bereuter
Edelhofg. 17/11, A-1180 Wien, Austria
http://www.internettrainer.com, wmb at internettrainer.com
Tel: ++43/1/ 961 0418, Fax: ++43/1/ 479 2539