Undocumented Engine Differences [Re: Rev 2.02/New pricing]

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Fri Jul 18 11:54:00 EDT 2003

Another issue is that there are undocumented differences between the engines, meaning that if you cannot test on the platform you are going to deliver on, things will end up breaking.

The proiject I am working on right now has an example - You can't disable items in a pop-up menu under Windows. Works perfectly on Mac and unix - in fact, it even works on windows if you change the Look and Feel to Mac or Mosaic, but not under the Windows Look and Feel.

This particular item is not documented, and would have caused my program's import feature to become completely non-functional if I had developed it on the Mac or Linux and just made a Windows standalone and distributed it.

In reality I was developing on Windows, and ran into this, so I was able to create a work around. But the point is that issues like this do exist, and they affect the ability to "Deliver on all supported platforms".

I'm not trying to convince you to make Studio allow development on all platforms - I'm just saying that you might want to be very careful when you  say that it can deliver on them all.