Rev 2.02/New pricing

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Fri Jul 18 08:43:00 EDT 2003

Wolfgang M. Bereuter writes:

> hi miscdas
> On Friday, Jul 18, 2003, at 13:30 Europe/Vienna, miscdas at boxfrog.com
> wrote:
>
>> Ah, but now we switch the subject from hobbyist to the general "anyone".
>> I couldn't agree more in that case. I know several "designers" that want
>> to do multimedia apps, and state emphatically that they are not
>> programmers (and don't want to be). Express would be good for them to
>> make an evaluation.
>
> Thats the point...
> I think that potential is very underestimated here...
>
> MM developer dont want to become Hardcore Coder. And I think its not a
> good idea to treat them as poor programmers... Imho its better to try to
> bring them to rev...

Wolfgang, let me add that I belong to other MM authoring lists, and the
biggest single complaint by the "designers" is that they DON"T want to write
code, scripts whatever; they want drag-and-drop or click-and-place objects,
and then "script helpers" that list commands and functions that a selected
object supports along with an example of the syntax in HUMAN UNDERSTANDABLE
(as opposed to programmer understable) terms. Rev certainly doesn't have
that, and from John's post (subject: "Me the potenital buyer"),
documentation that is geared to programmers and leaves out others is a huge
barrier to overcome, resulting in many giving up early in the game. This is
complaint number 2 by the newbies.

> If this new more complicated license/pricing system which is the right way
> to do that...?

The new licensing does nothing to rectify the documentation needed to
address the  "non-programmer newbie that really COULD eventially be a paying
customer if only there were coherent, concise newbie-friendly docs and
tutorials". Sarah was kind enough to list some of the available mish-mash of
dcoumentaion and help--
"Metacard has a good tutorial: mtp.mc at ..."
"After that, since there aren't any Rev books out there yet, I recommend a
HyperCard book..." ('OUCH!' says Newbie, 'What am I doing reading about
Hyper whatever--isn't this Revolution??')

"Also any demo stacks can be loaded straight into Revolution although they
can have some problems if they use menus..." ('Demo problems?', laments
Newbie, 'I haven't even started to evaluate Revoluton and you're telling me
I am going to have problems with Demos?? OUCH again!')

"I'm not sure that all these are still in print, but they can usually be
found." ('Oh boy", moans Newbie, 'now I have to go searching for the books,
too?!?')

"...I assume you have done the tutorials that come with Revolution and if
you have Rev 2.0, you will see the new Cookbook section which has quite a
lot of example scripts. There are also numerous stacks available at the User
Contributions section of the RunRev website and other places - all of which
can be taken apart, examined, changed, tested etc so you can work out what
is going on."  ('Well', despairs Newbie, 'I wish I knew something about how
to "take apart and examine scripts". But since I have barely even started,
and can't find a good book for beginners, and have to go from site-to-site
to find examples, and couldn't find any instructions about taking apart
scripts in the dictionary, (maybe it's there, but I can't find it) I guess
this Revolution thing just isn't for me. I must be really stupid--or maybe
you "programmers" are all geniuses!')
And so departs another frustrated Newbie, once hopeful of authoring some
"cool apps", now fallen back into the trenches of despair.

> regards
> Wolfgang M. Bereuter
>
> Learn easy with trainingsmaps©
> INTERNETTRAINER Wolfgang M. Bereuter