Rev 2.02/New pricing

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Jul 16 22:56:01 EDT 2003

> Um...something seems very wrong here. It's going to cost $1199 to do any
> kind of real cross-platform development!?!?! According to this list, I am
> going to need to develop under windows, and if I want test and debug
> something for the Mac I will need to either pay $1199, or test on the mac
> using the free version and WRITE DOWN all the error bugs, since I
> can't edit
> scripts longer than 10 lines on my test machine!?!?
>
> I'm understand the need to make money, but sacraficing the cross-platform
> appeal of revolution for all the but the highest end users dosn't
> seem like
> the way to do it to me.

I think it's reasonable. I imagine this came about because so many people
opted for the Small Biz version so RunRev needed to introduce a major
difference between the versions. You could always use an Express or Eval
version for testing and bug fixing.

> What is a feature update, by the way?

I think it's a minor update. 2.0 -> 2.1. The 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2 updates would be
bug fixes and the 2.0 -> 3.0 updates would be major file structure changes.
I think this is a big plus for the Studio Version compared to the Small Biz
version.

> I was sort of assuming that the 30-day trial period edition was similar
> to what we currently have:

Don't assume anything. We don't know if RunRev was maintaining the Free
Version just to compete with MC or not. With such a cheep version being
introduced what value is it to RunRev to maintain the Free Version? If I
were RunRev I'd dump it because it will stop people buying the Express
version. Long term Free Version users are a drain on RunRev's resources and
the cost of that drain ends up in the hands of users that pay.

Regards

Monte