file permission problems with running runrev on Mac OS X

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Wed Jul 16 20:18:17 EDT 2003

FYI:

> Am I the only person who does most work on Mac OS X as a non-admin user?
>
> (I'm sure I just didn't go back far enough in the archives to see an
> answer for this.)
>
> Logged in as the user that I installed runrev as, runrev runs.
>
> Logged in as another user, runrev starts up and gives me the application
> menu (second from left) and then just sits there. Now file menu, no edit
> menu, no splash screen, no "do you agree to the license?" dialog,
> nothing. I can quit from the application menu. There is no visible
> response to any other item in the application menu.
>
> I thought this had to do with not installing runrev in the applications
> folder, or with not being the primary admin user when I installed it. So
> I tried installing into the applications folder (/Applications/dev,
> actually) as the primary admin. Same thing. Changing the owner and
> permissions to match those in the pre-installed applications doesn't
> seem to change anything.
>
> Is this something I just have to live with? In other words, do I just
> have to rip it out and re-install while logged in as the dev user?

Just for fun, I tried installing runrev on a volume that is not my boot
volume. (Non-boot volumes in Mac OS X tend to be given the permissions
of the logged in user. This is fundamentally wrong, but the way it is,
at least for the present.) That worked. I can log in as any user and
runrev starts up just fine from the non-boot volume.

Thinking about the license, I'm not sure that's what the folks at runrev
wanted either.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan