Disappearing substack...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 16 11:30:01 EDT 2003

Edwin Gore wrote:

> By george, I think you've got it!
>
> Each time that this has happened, it was when I was working on integrating
> altBrowser stuff into my project, and I had my project and the altBrowser
> project open at the same time. Altbrowser has a substack named "Help".
>
> I'm guessing that this is the problem

This reminds me of a habit I use that may be useful to others:

Stacks have bth a name and a title property.  When the title is empty, the
stack title is drawn with an asterisk (or followed by the card number if
more than one card).  To regain control over the appearance of the window
title I almost always use the stack's title property, which has one other
advantage:  I can now name the stack anything I want without affecting its
appearance.

Since stack names are used for identification, and because they can cause
conflicts when other stacks are present with the same name, I've found it
useful to use descriptive abbreviations for stack names, things like
"wmProgress" for the WebMerge progress window.  This makes it easy to
identify in a stack listing tool and is far less likely to run into name
space conflicts.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation