variables, arrays, or custom properties

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 16 10:58:29 EDT 2003

Chris Sheffield wrote:

> Just a quick, and probably basic, question.  I have a
> stack that is going to make use of quite a bit of
> different data, and I'm wondering what is the best to
> use out of regular variables (many of them will have
> to be globals), arrays, or custom properties.  Most of
> this data will be read in from a database, manipulated
> in different ways, and then written back to the
> database.  Is one of these methods better than
> another?  Is there something that will give me a
> "shortcut" so to speak in regards to reading and
> writing database records?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The biggest differences between arrays and chunks seem to be that arrays are
significantly faster for obtaining single records, while one large block of
delimited text is faster (25-35%) for operations involving walking through
the entire data set.

So depending on what you're doing the "best" solution will vary.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation