Scrolling Image-window

Ray G. Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 14 15:29:00 EDT 2003

> From: "R. Hillen" <mail at richard-hillen.de>

> I have some very large Images (4000x4000 pix) (maps of noise in
> Germany), which I want to show without scaling in a scrolling window
> with size 200 x 200 pix or so.
> How to add scrollbars to an Imageobject?
> What is the solution?
>
> Thanx in advance

The solution for attaching scrollbars will work, BUT not on images
4000x4000. I had a similar problem in MetaCard a couple of weeks ago.

MC/Rev tends to choke on these really big pix. Here's what Scott had to say:

I asked:
 > The balky photos all opened in Photoshop, Quicktime, PhotoImpression, or
 > Appleworks. The attached folder contains one of the balky pix.
 >
 > Any ideas?

We're stumped.  Works fine on Win32 and on UNIX systems, including the
Darwin engine.  But it fails in both the PPC and Mach-O (OS X)
engines.  It must be a problem in the JPEG library we're using, which
means it's not going to be practical for us to fix it.  But I'll put
upgrading that library on the to-do list for 2.5.1 and will put
checking this image on the QA list for that release.  Mean time, I
don't have much in the way of suggestions for getting these things to
display.  Have you tried recompressing them with some other tool, or
maybe just scaling them down?  At 4795 pixels, they're pretty wide...
   Regards,
     Scott

Ray G. Miller
Turtlelips Productions