About MC/RR applications servers

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sat Jul 12 18:34:00 EDT 2003

Thanks Pierre

Just do tests and you will see as me that this works perfectly, faster
for example, than in using ASP's or PHP commands, because the linux bash
optimisations, because the psql perfect design to work in command-line
pipe mode.
<<
Well, this is rather flabberghasting...
I suppose it does fit in with the unix philosophy.  I am prepared to believe you, and when I get the time I will try to do some comparisons for myself.

I just remplace all of them by metatalk/transcript calculations on very
simple SQL requests replies
<<
With regard to SPs, triggers, etc.. I still don't understand why you do not use them.  Is it because they do not work, because they are slow, or because you just prefer to do it in Transcript?

75% of writes on databases going from some megs (events statistics) up
to 250 Megs of datas, with, as an average, no more than 10 Megs peer
table
<<
And it is basically a write-intensive application?
Do I understand correctly that each write can be several megabytes?
And that the database size is around 250mb?

Suse 8 Pro x86 - Athlon 800 1 Go Ram - server. All the other
apps are hosted on 3 st box, again Suse 8 Pro x86 - Athlon 800 1 Go Ram.
<<
Each server has 1gb of RAM?  Do you find you need that much?
I suppose if your queries are write-intensive this extra RAM is not there to boost PostgreSQL's cache?

I'm in agreement about OS X being slow compared to Linux.  Imagine running Linux on Panther :-)

Bernard