Need some help

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Jul 9 16:21:01 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

> Oh, I completely agree. Though if you do want a challenge you can go
> way overboard with it!
>
> It sort of reminds of something from Douglas Adams' "Last Chance To
> See". One of the endangered animals he visited incubates it's eggs by
> creating a great pile of crap (leaves, etc) and, as I recall, counts
> on the decomposition heat generated to incubate the eggs. After it
> builds it's mound, the bird has to constantly monitor the heat and add
> and remove material from the pile to keep the temp. just right. Adams
> pointed out that it would have been FAR easier if the bird had just
> sat on the eggs to keep the
> m warm.
>
> Of course Adams then proceeded to write a very complicated hypercard
> stack to simulate how the whole heating system worked, calculating
> mass to heat, with lots of bells and whistles, and a nice user
> interface. He used it twice. He then realized that it would have taken
> him about five minutes to satisfy his curiousity about the process
> using the calculator desk accessory instead.
>
> Theres a lesson there. If something is worth doing, then it's worth
> overdoing!

so sorry, gentlemen, mea culpa! ;-)

Maybe i misunderstood what James was trying to do.

It sounded to me like a frontend for some (hundreds of) images and text
files on a server,
or the text fiels even stored in the front end stack, if possible.
(A simple "database" structure with about 500 entries, the ideal job
for RR...)

And that is something that could be easily done with RR even for a
novice :-)
(With the ususal kind assistance of this list :-)

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
www.major-k.de