Need some help

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Wed Jul 9 16:13:05 EDT 2003

Oh, I completely agree. Though if you do want a challenge you can go way overboard with it!

It sort of reminds of something from Douglas Adams' "Last Chance To See". One of the endangered animals he visited incubates it's eggs by creating a great pile of crap (leaves, etc) and, as I recall, counts on the decomposition heat generated to incubate the eggs. After it builds it's mound, the bird has to constantly monitor the heat and add and remove material from the pile to keep the temp. just right. Adams pointed out that it would have been FAR easier if the bird had just sat on the eggs to keep them warm.

Of course Adams then proceeded to write a very complicated hypercard stack to simulate how the whole heating system worked, calculating mass to heat, with lots of bells and whistles, and a nice user interface. He used it twice. He then realized that it would have taken him about five minutes to satisfy his curiousity about the process using the calculator desk accessory instead.

Theres a lesson there. If something is worth doing, then it's worth overdoing!