Saving stack with a large number of cds

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Wed Jul 9 12:06:01 EDT 2003

Unfortunately, what you are seeing sounds about right. RunRev loads the whole stack into memory, and when you save it it actually backs up the old stack, saves out you changes to a new file, then, when it knows everything went well, it deletes the old file, so forty seconds is, if you think about it, really fast.

I'm guessing that this stack is a database-type-of-thing, and that you have groups that are on each card that hold all you data - right?

What you might try doing is adding a text data import/export function to your stack, and exporting all the data out to a text file to keep it safe, then ceating a smaller data set to use during development. THat way you can do all your development quickly with a small test data set, then, when things are where you like it, import the data into the revised stack. Going forward, you do all your development on the development stack, and when you are happy with it, export the data from the working stack and import it into the new version.