MAC OS X Problems

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Jul 9 05:27:00 EDT 2003

Bon jour Yves,

> Le mercredi, 9 juil 2003, à 10:52 Europe/Brussels, Klaus Major a écrit
> :
>
>> Bon jour Yves,
>>
>> any special reason why my (working!) code snippet with "get shell..."
>> does not work for you?
>> Less code than with AppleScript ;-)
>>

> Hello Klaus
>
> Yes there is a problem

I knew it wouldn't be that easy... ;-)

> when I use a path as
>
> "/users/<myname>/aaaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/ééé/fff/<folderName>"
>
> it doesn't work
>
> seems that the path is too long

It's not the long path, it's the diacriticals in the name of the ééé
folder.

Work with longer paths if there are no diacriticals...

> all the previous folders do exist :
> "/users/<myname>/aaaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/ééé/fff
>
> but if I add the <foldername> with diacriticals, doesn't work...
> when I use

I did some tests and it will work, but only if the path does not
contain diacriticals.
They may appear in the "foldername", but not in the path...

This worked here:

get shell("mkdir" && $HOME & "/aaaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/eee/fff/répétition")

This didn't:

get shell("mkdir" && $HOME & "/aaaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/ééé/fff/répétition")

Same error as in your example...

> get shell(....)
> answer it
>
> it = a message in 3 lines: folder doesn't exist...
> try and let me know....
> thanks.

This is strange indeed, but as Scott pointed out it's Apples fault and
they are
going to workaround this in the next version/update...

Until then you really might have to use AppleScript...

I am rather unexperienced in AS so i leave this problem to another
helpful soul ;-)

> Greetings.
>
> Yves COPPE
> yvescoppe at skynet.be