Game Available for Test etc.

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sun Jul 6 20:01:01 EDT 2003

>  > miscdas,
>>
>>  Thanks. I overlooked Courier. It doesn't work quite as well as Monaco but
>>  it is certainly readable. So the following should work on both the PC and
>>  the Mac. In the message box run:
>>
>>   go url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/CryptDivisionCourier.rev"
>>
>>  Jim
>>
>  > P.S. How would you embed a font into a stack?
>>
>===========
>Courier looks fine on WIN XP pro, MC 2.4.3
>
>Couldn't you use tabbed fields to get the proper alignment with any font?
>
>I don't think MC or Rev allow embedding fonts. You could do a work around by
>doing a screen capture of each numeral in the font you like. You need to be
>careful about the size and alignment of each captured image. Then use the
>images in place of numerals.
>
>miscdas

miscdas,

I don't  think I can make the tabstops work. Because the puzzle
numbers (divisor and dividend) are randomly generated, I need to
right justify all fields (the number of digits below could be 1,2,3,4
or 5). Tabs don't line the letters or numbers very well. Even with
left justification it isn't perfect. A thin "I" will line up on the
tabstops. Its *center* will be displaced slightly from the center of
an "X" above.

In any event, your suggestion of using Courier is probably a good
universal solution. It is common to almost all computers--certainly
Macs and PCs.

Thanks,

Jim

>Message: 14
>From: Cubist at aol.com
>Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:40:06 EDT
>Subject: Re: Game Available for Test
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>sez jhurley at infostations.com:
>>How would you embed a font into a stack?
>    I don't think you *would* do that. It's possible to do it on the Mac side,
>thanks to Mac files having resource forks, but it's not possible on any other
>platform, as far as I can tell. Thus, I'd bet that Rev can't do it *at all*,
>on *any* platform.
>    What you *could* do is make yourself a preOpenStack handler that gets a
>list of all the user's installed fonts -- see also: the fontNames function --
>and does something *if and only if* one of your stack's fonts
>*isn't* installed.
>"Does something" could mean putting up a dialog box to warn the user that
>some things won't look nice; it could mean warning the user about the font
>problem, giving instructions on how to solve it, and shutting down;
>it could mean a
>lot of different things...
>
>--__

Cubist,

Quite so. I suspect that most computers will have Courier. In any
event, I haven't any plans to distribute the stack beyond this list.

Thanks,

Jim

>Jeanne DeVoteo wrote:
>
>The contextual menu doesn't set the style property; it uses the commands
>(toplevel, modeless, modal, palette) to redisplay the window in the desired
>style. (It assumes you want to make a temporary change for editing, not to
>lock the stack to a particular style.)

Jeanne,

Yikes. This is probably not obvious to many users. And I doubt the
documentation would help--it is not the sort of thing one would
consider looking up.

Is there some language one could use in the menu that would suggest
that this is a temporary change in mode for the purpose of editing?
Perhaps "Stack Mode (Edit only)"

Thanks,

Jim