Speech synthesis on Windows

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jul 3 02:29:01 EDT 2003

Chipp-

Well, there was (is) at least a 5.0 SDK. MS says that 5.1 is
binary-compatible with 5.0. I assume that means that 5.1 is a bug-fix
release. There's no API call that I have found to get the SAPI version
info number. I dig around in C:\WINNT\Speech and get the version
information from vcmd.exe (4.0.4.3405 for my Win2k).

I suppose you could try IspTokenUI::IsUISupported() with a pszTypeOfUI
argument being the name of a token that's supported in version 5 but
not in version 4. The 5.1 SDK help file by itself (2.3MB) is available
at http://www.microsoft.com/speech/techinfo/apioverview/ to save you
from downloading the whole SDK.

-Mark