encrypted stacks

DVGlasgow at aol.com DVGlasgow at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 06:03:01 EDT 2003

Thanks to those who offered previous posts on using encrypted stacks.  I feel
slightly foolish posting, particularly in light of the learned encryption
posts we have had lately.

Anyhow, i stumbled accidentally on an AHA! that might help those just
starting to think about these things.

I thought that you *had* to use Passkey to decrypt an encrypted stack
whenever you wanted to use it.  OK, the docs don't say this, but it is the normal way
password protecting works, and the docs don't say it isn't like this.

So my scripts all had passkey in until I forgot I had commented one out and
the 'get' command still worked.  Now I might have expected that of the dev
environment, but it was a surprise in a standalone.  It looks to me as though
reading (decrypted data) from an encrypted stack is automatic.  You don't even
seem to need the password to change the contents of a field in an encrypted stack
in the dev environment.  Double click the encrypted stack, type what you
want, save and close.  This was even more of a surprise.

However, it is marvelous for me, because I can just paste lists of authorised
users into an encrypted users stack, burn to CD, and  the standalone will
personalise itself on startup, no passwords, no nothing.  Just a get and a put.

Most of my anticipated users are likely to be either honest or not IT
literate enough to try to add or replace authorised users.  The few that might try
will use a text editor and get rubbish.  Aside from  the possibilty that someone
might download  Rev  and then discover they can then do what they want, are
there any other ways sneaky users might get round this system?

Best wishes,

David Glasgow
Home/ forensic assessments --> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/dvglasgow/">
DVGlasgow </A>