OT: FooBar (was Bad Factor)

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Fri Jan 31 16:42:01 EST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 02:10  PM, Gary Rathbone wrote:
> When I was a student (a good few years ago) I was told the term
> originated
> from the military, just as we us 'Snafu' now.
> Basically, it’s a distorted version of 'F***ed Up Beyound All
> Recognition' -
> or am I just being naïve ?

Correct, but it's more interesting than that. The metasyntactic "foo"
was adopted into the "fubar" phase as "foobar". But foo is the real
interesting character of the bunch. The Jargon File has a lengthy and
interesting entymology of foo.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com