Setting Pixels - More answers to suggestions

Robert J Warren (Howsoft.com) warren at howsoft.com
Wed Jan 29 23:19:01 EST 2003

<I've thought some about this problem. If you can't use the direct editing
<mode (choose pencil, eraser, etc..), then it will probably be too slow.

<Perhaps a DLL or XCMD would do the trick...

<-Chipp

Thanks, and sorry Chipp, I am not only new to Transcript but I also know
nothing at all about Macs. I presume that an XCMD is the Mac version of a
Windows DLL (?) I am sure that it would help, but I am not sure to what
degree. I have only ever written one DLL in my life which is for the said
eraser program in VB (due to be launched soon). It converts RGB to HSL and
v.v. By doing the calculations in a DLL rather than in the program the
saving was about 15%. Although this 15% was crucial in the eraser routine I
wrote, it was generally a disappointment: I expected a much bigger saving.

But perhaps more important is the fact that I would have a program which was
not truly cross-platform. Apart from the simple elegance of the Transcript
language, the cross-platform aspect is my main attraction. Rather than
regard it as a fixed entity, I would frankly prefer to see the Transcript
language corrected, improved and adequately extended. But I don't suppose
the RunRev team would be listening at the moment as it seems they are
occupied by some other minor task.....