No scroll wheel (newbie stuff)?

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Jan 27 19:27:01 EST 2003

> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:56:12 -0700
> Subject: Re: No scroll wheel (newbie stuff)?
> From: Alex Rice <alrice at ARCplanning.com>

>> I was thinking scrollwheel support would be native to RR

> I agree it should be added, because I use a scrollwheel too. However I
> wouldn't take it for granted that virtually all other software supports
> scrollwheels. That's like saying all games should support
> force-feedback joysticks. ;-)
----------
I can't say I agree with the reference. I think it (scrollwheel support) is
a staple these days. I mean, so much work has gone into other smaller stuff
that could be worked around, I guess I was just shocked that it wasn't
there. It's a part of both Windows and Mac OS, ought to be very easy to
support in either case. Is there, perhaps, an XFCN?

I love the fact that RR replaces HC's old fields and standard buttons with
the newer objects. I'm trying to convert an onscreen keyboard, and it's nice
that much of the graphic work was automatically updated.

HyperCard's answer list dialogs support it, but, alas, its native fields are
antiques. There is an OS resourced XFCN for HC called ShowList XFCN which
has scrollwheel support. I wonder if it would work with RR on a Mac? At
least I could use it for index lists.
> When you get into cross-platform development, there is even less
> support for scrollwheels. It takes time for them to catch up with new
> hardware. For example Java did not support scroll-wheels until JDK 1.4.
> AFAIK Flash, Realbasic, and others may not support scrollwheels yet
> either.
I think scrollwheels have been around too long to be considered new
hardware. Maybe time is passing too slowly for me today ;+)

KenN.